Financial Aid Appeal
Financial Aid Appeal
When a student becomes academically ineligible, they have the right to appeal the suspension of their financial aid based on mitigating circumstances.
Students are limited to 3 appeals throughout the duration of their enrollment at CCRI. Based on extremely unusual circumstances only, the Director of Financial Aid may approve subsequent appeals beyond this limit.
Re-establishing Your Academic Financial Aid Eligibility
Federal regulations require students to demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward an eligible degree or certificate program to qualify to receive financial assistance.
If you are no longer eligible for financial aid assistance due to one or more of the federal requirements below, and if you have documented extenuating circumstances, you may submit a Financial Aid Appeal in an effort to request that your financial aid be reinstated:
- You were denied financial aid because you did not meet the minimum financial aid GPA
2. You were denied financial aid because you did not meet the 67% completion rate.
3. You were denied financial aid because you did not meet the 150% requirement.
Extenuating Circumstances backed by Official Documentation
Your appeal must contain extenuating circumstances which prevented you from making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
Extenuating circumstances are considered to be significant life experiences that impacted your emotional and/or physical health so much that you were unable to make good academic progress while meeting SAP.
Examples of significant extenuating circumstances include:
- Medical illness and/or injury
- Death of an immediate family member
- Foreclosure or eviction
- Military Deployment
- Legal problems or police matters
All of the above examples must pertain to the semester(s) in which you did not meet Satisfactory Academic progress.
You may not base your appeal on:
- Your need for financial aid
- Your lack of knowledge that your financial aid was in jeopardy
- The classes that you took were many years ago
- You were not focused or committed to your education
- You did not know what classes to register for
- You did not know what to major in
- You did not attend class, or stopped going to class
Financial Aid Appeal Instructions
- Register for a Virtual Drop-in Advising Session or come in for an In-person On Campus
Walk-in Advising Session. See www.ccri.edu/advising for days and times. Students MUST meet with an Academic Advisor to file a Financial Aid Appeal.
- During this session, the academic counselor will create an Education Plan for you. This plan is required before your completed Financial Aid Appeal Packet can be reviewed by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee. Incomplete appeals will not be reviewed.
- Complete all relevant sections of the Financial Aid Appeal Packet.
- Compose your Letter of Explanation answering the questions on the appeal form under the section titled "Writing an Appeal Letter to the Financial Aid Appeal Committee"
- Email the completed (1) Financial Aid Appeal Packet along with your (2) Letter of Explanation and any necessary (3) Supporting Documentation to [email protected].
- You can check the status of your appeal in your MyCCRI account under the Financial Aid section in the For Students tab.
All appeals must be submitted in writing and documentation must be provided when applicable. If your appeal pertains to academic history from more than two years ago, documentation is not required if the mitigating circumstances are thoroughly described on the appeal.
The Financial Aid Appeal committee will review appeals and make decisions regarding approval or denial. The decisions of this committee cannot be appealed unless additional information is presented that was not included in the initial appeal. The decision of the Financial Aid Appeal committee may only be overturned by the Director of Financial Aid or their designee.
Tips for Saving Documentation as a PDF for Email Attachments
The Google Chrome Web Browser works best with the MyCCRI platform
Launch Google Chrome, go to www.ccri.edu – Login – MyCCRI
Sign into your MyCCRI account and go to the For Students tab. The Schedule and Degree Evaluation are found under Registration tools, the Unofficial Transcript is at the very bottom of the page after Academic Profile.
- For the Schedule and Transcript
- Pull it up on your computer, using your mouse click and drag to highlight the entire screen, then right click on the highlight and choose print, change the printer to PDF and click print, you will be prompted to save.
- For the Degree Evaluation
- Pull it up on your computer, click on Save as PDF, click the printer icon, change the printer to PDF and click print, you will be prompted to save.
- Download the appeal form to your device by using the download or save as feature. Complete Pages 1 & 2 and save.
- Hard copies of documentation can be saved by taking a picture and attaching as a JPEG file.