Liberal Arts - Associate in Arts -English Concentration (LAEN)
The English concentration prepares a student for advanced study at the baccalaureate level as an English major or as a second major. It provides an exceptional foundation in the development of writing, critical thinking, critical reading, oral communication and literature analysis. This is an excellent program for those pursuing a career in educational institutions, writing, business and industry, film studies, art, communications, law, advertising, sports communications, journalism or library work.
- Apply close reading techniques, critical reading, and analytical skills to various genres.
- Analyze and respond to various genres of literature according to literary elements, terms, and devices.
- Apply fundamental literary criticism, theory, and methodologies to various genres.
- Link texts to their cultural and historical contexts.
- Reflect on the cultural, psychological, and aesthetic bases of literary response through critical papers.
- Incorporate MLA style research skills in critical papers.
To declare an English concentration, students should contact the English Department at 401-825-2262.
Please refer to the college catalog for the most up to date listing of program requirements here English Concentration Program Requirements