The English Concentration prepares a student for advanced study at the baccalaureate level and provides an excellent foundation in the development of writing, critical and creative thinking, critical reading, oral communication, and literary analysis. Students explore diverse texts to gain global, cultural, and historical perspectives, as well as attain knowledge that aligns with the College’s Mission of promoting professional, intellectual, and personal growth.
- Apply close reading techniques, critical reading, and analytical skills to various genres.
- Analyze and respond to various genres of literature according to literary elements, terms, and devices.
- Apply fundamental literary criticism, theory, and methodologies to various genres.
Link texts to their cultural and historical contexts.
- Reflect on the cultural, psychological, and aesthetic bases of literary response through critical papers.
- Incorporate MLA Style research skills in critical papers.