Skip to Main ContentSearch Site

Grading Policies

Grading System:

Grade Designation Notes
A Superior  
B Above Average  
D Below Average  
F Failure Also used by Nursing, Allied, Rehabilitative Health and Dental Health Departments when a student fails the clinical component of any course.
S Satisfactory Used for non-credit courses except Field Experiences.
U Unsatisfactory Used for non-credit courses except Field Experiences.

When To Assign an Incomplete Grade

When considering the awarding of an "Incomplete" grade, faculty should follow the broad guidelines defined in each grade category. For example, the "I" grade is not intended for use when a student has never attended class, even if that student had extenuating circumstances. The definition of the "I" grade implies that a student has completed a substantial amount of the work, but he or she still has more to complete. Some colleges assign percentage guidelines of completed work (80 percent for example) before using the "I" grade. Often students do not understand that if they haven’t made up the work by a certain date in the following semester, the "I" grade reverts to a "WF" (Unofficial Withdrawal, failing) grade.

I: Incomplete Work

Temporary grade used only when a student has not completed all required work because of extenuating circumstances. An "I" grade must be made up with the instructor who issued the grade by the end of the following semester; i.e., Fall "I" grade made up by end of May and Spring and summer "I" grade made up by end of December. Otherwise no credit will be allowed for the course and the "I" will revert to a "WF." The "I" grade is not used if the student plans to retake the course at a later date. It is included in attempted credits but not in the grade point index.

I/C: Incomplete Continuing

Allowed only for students in the math lab and other nontraditional, self-paced courses. Permits a student to continue in a course while satisfactorily progressing toward completion of course objectives.

Course Withdrawals: Difference Between "W"/"WP"/ "WF"/ "NA" Grades

If a student just stops attending my class, do I have any other grading option besides an "F?" Can I as a faculty member assign a "W" grade, or is that grade only for a student who officially withdraws from a course within the stated timelines? Note, in the "W/P" or in the "W/F" grade, the phrase "unofficially withdraws from a course" means that a student has stopped attending but has not completed the paperwork to make the withdrawal official.

WP: Unofficial Withdrawal, Passing

Used when a student unofficially withdraws from a course at any point in the course and has a passing grade. It is included in attempted credits but not in the grade point index.

WF: Unofficial Withdrawal, Failing

Used when a student unofficially withdraws from a course at any point in the course and has a failing grade. It is included in attempted credits but not in the grade point index.

NA: Unofficial Withdrawal, No Assessment

Used when a student unofficially withdraws from a course before the instructor has made any academic assessment. It is included in attempted credits but not in the grade point index.

AU: Audit

Refer to Academic Information - Audit in the current catalog.

Academic Standings and Quality Points

  • Academic Warning
  • Academic Probation
  • Program Dismissal
  • Student Appeal Option
  • Honors

Cumulative Grade Index

Grade Number of Points
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
F 0

The college’s Academic Standards Policy is included here in full since student satisfactory progress is integral to the mission of the college. See the Academic Standards Policy »

The Goal of the Policy

The main goal of any academic standards policy is to provide assistance to those students who are experiencing academic difficulty. An early warning to students experiencing academic problems often results in their seeking academic support through a variety of options that help students achieve academic success. An early warning may limit the number of credits a student may take in a semester. Students may also be required to select special courses or other student support options designed to provide special academic assistance. The goal for the college and its students is to improve academic performance so that students may attain their academic and career goals. As the faculty are in direct contact with the student, you are in an unequal position to be able to determine student progress and intervene when you determine that a student may need additional attention to be successful.

Definition of Academic Warning/Probation/Program Dismissal:

The following chart details the measures that will be used to determine your academic standing. The standards have a quality component (GPA) measured against a quantitative component (number of credits attempted).

0-15 1.25 Below 1.25    
16-30 1.50 Below 1.50† Previous Warning, 
GPA below 1.50†
31-45 1.75 Below 1.75† Previous Warning, 
GPA below 1.75†
Previous Probation, GPA below 1.75†
46-90 2.00 Below 2.00† Previous Warning, 
GPA below 2.00†

Previous Probation, GPA below 2.00†

*Students who are dismissed from a degree program are not permitted to enroll for courses as a non-degree student until they have consulted with an advisor to develop an academic plan of study.

†Students receiving financial aid must remain in good academic standing and are required to successfully complete a minimum of 67 percent of the attempted credits per semester and cumulatively or they risk losing their eligibility to receive federal financial aid, regardless of whether they have ever received financial aid before or not.

If a student fails to successfully complete enough courses in a semester and/or does not meet a required grade point average, the student may be placed under one of the following academic restrictions:

Academic Warning

Students are restricted to 13 semester credits and may be required to take 3 credits of developmental courses. Students must see an academic advisor.

Academic Probation

Students are restricted to 10 semester credits. Students are required to see an academic advisor who may require at least 6 of the 10 credits to be developmental courses.

Academic Program Dismissal

Students will be dismissed from their program of study. These non-matriculating students must see an academic advisor to review various academic and developmental options to regain good academic standing. When the student is readmitted to his/her program of study, that student will remain on probation for one academic semester. The academic advisor will determine the number of credits allowed for study.

The developmental interventions and academic options may include: a variety of skill development course work, career skills/goals assessment, and program change or course load reduction

Student Appeal Options

Appeal Program Dismissal

Students may appeal Program Dismissal status to the Committee on Academic Standards. The committee is composed of the dean of student development or his/her designee, the associate dean of Enrollment Services, Admissions and Financial Aid, the assistant dean of Enrollment Services, three faculty members and an academic dean who shall chair the committee.

Appeals Process

If a student feels that there are serious extenuating circumstances that contributed to poor academic performance, the student has an opportunity to appeal the academic sanction of “Program Dismissal.” Students, who wish to appeal the sanction of dismissal, must meet with a counselor in the Advising and Counseling Department to discuss the merits and procedures of the appeal. If it is decided that the student has grounds for an appeal, the following procedures will apply:

  1. Students must present their appeal of academic dismissal in writing and state the specific circumstances which merit consideration of an appeal.
  2. The letter of appeal will be addressed to the Academic Appeals Committee and mailed to the Office of the Dean of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, 400 East Avenue, Warwick, RI 02886.
  3. The Academic Appeals Committee will review the request for appeal and will render the decision of the committee. The student will be notified in writing of the committee’s decision.

Academic Renewal (Forgiveness)

CCRI students may request academic renewal (forgiveness) to allow removal of poor grades from the calculation of their overall GPA based upon past academic performance and/or based upon a change of curriculum.

The Academic Renewal (Forgiveness) Policy contains two options:

Option 1: Academic renewal based upon past academic performance
Option 2: Academic renewal based upon change of curriculum

General provisions that apply to both Option 1 and Option 2:
  1. A student may request academic renewal once under the academic performance option and once under the change of curriculum option.
  2. If a student requests forgiveness for a course or courses in which he or she has earned a grade of "D" or "F", the credits earned in any such course or courses will be removed from the total credits earned, and the student will receive no credit for the course. However, courses including grades will remain on the student’s official transcript designated with a special code for academic renewal.
  3. All requests are to be submitted using the Academic Appeal Form and forwarded to the Academic Appeals Committee. Waiver forms are available at from any advisor/counselor in the Advising and Counseling office on any campus.
Specific Provisions for Option 1* – Academic Renewal based upon past academic performance:
  1. After three consecutive years of non-attendance at CCRI, a student may request academic renewal based upon past academic performance.
  2. After the student completes 12 credits with a GPA of 2.5, the request will be reviewed by the Academic Appeals Committee for the request to be considered.
  3. When the student’s request is approved by the Academic Appeals Committee, grades of "D" or "F" for the courses from the prior attendance period will be excluded from the calculation of the student’s grade point average. However, the courses and grades will remain on the student’s official transcript designated with a special code for academic renewal.
Specific Provisions for Option 2* – Academic Renewal based upon change of curriculum:
  1. A student may request academic renewal based upon a change of program of study/major any time after matriculation and after completion of 12 or more credits with a GPA of 2.5 in his or her new program of study.
  2. If a student’s request is approved by the Academic Appeals Committee, grades of "D" or "F" in courses that were required by the previous program but are not required by the new program will be excluded from the calculation of the student’s grade point average. However, courses including grades will remain on the student’s official transcript designated with a special code for academic renewal.
POLICY APPLIES TO: CCRI degree-seeking students having completed 12 credits with a GPA of 2.5 or better.

* For financial aid purposes, all attempted credits and grades from all courses (GPA) including those that were forgiven must be included when determining financial aid eligibility.


How do students receive their grades? Am I permitted to give students their grades at the end of the semester?

Grades are available online through MyCCRI (formerly Pipeline) and may be mailed to students at the end of each semester provided all financial obligations to CCRI are met. Students enrolled in modular courses may view their grades online through MyCCRI (formerly Pipeline) and may receive a grade report at the conclusion of the course(s). In addition, mid-term warning letters are sent to students (enrolled in 15-week courses) who may be in academic difficulty. Students are responsible for discussing with the instructor how the grade was determined.

Since students are permitted to check their grades through MyCCRI (formerly Pipeline) (provided they are in good financial standing), it is probably best that faculty not release grades outside of the college’s established mechanisms for viewing grades. Faculty should also be careful not to violate the FERPA guidelines by sharing students’ grades in any manner that might infringe on their privacy or confidentiality. For example, it would violate the FERPA guidelines if a faculty member were to post student's grades by name or in any manner in which a student's right to privacy might be compromised.

Dean’s List

A Dean’s List is published at the end of fall and spring semesters. A student is eligible for Dean’s List honors when he or she:

  • is enrolled in a degree program
  • has earned 12 or more credits in one semester
  • has achieved a current grade point average 3.25 or higher with no grade lower than “C”
Graduation Awards

Academic achievement will be recognized at graduation for students who have met the following criteria:

  • Graduation Honors: 3.25 cumulative grade point index
  • Graduation High Honors: 3.50 cumulative grade point index
  • Graduation Highest Honors: 3.75 cumulative grade point index

Note:In order to be eligible for honors, a student must earn at least one-half of the credits for his/her program at CCRI.


What is meant by the phrase “in-house credits?”

In-house credits are counted for purposes of determining "time" status (full-time or part-time), and for reasons associated with financial aid awards and academic progress. In-house credits typically do not count toward the completion of a degree or certificate, but they will show on the student's transcript. Typically in-house credits refer to developmental or non-college level courses.