Search SiteSkip to Main Content

Applying For VA Education Benefits

Once you have met with an academic advisor and enrolled in classes, the next step is to apply for benefits through the VA. This is done by filling out VA Form 22-1990. The form can be filled out by hand, or by using which guides the veteran through filling out the forms step-by-step. will also submit the form digitally, which can expedite the process.

Note: When filling out your paperwork, it is important to know which chapter you will be utilizing. If you are unsure, see this page or visit one of our offices to have your questions answered.

We recommend that all veterans use to apply for their benefits. Although it is not required, it is recommended that veterans scan/mail in copies of any applicable DD-214 forms and kicker contracts to expedite the process.

If submitting a paper version of the form, veterans should fax their paperwork to (716) 551-3382 or mail to:

VA Regional Processing Office
PO Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616

The average turnaround time for paperwork at the Buffalo office is between two and three weeks. Once everything is processed at that office, CCRI’s Office of Enrollment Services and the school’s VA Certifying Official will be notified of your intent to utilize your benefits. You will receive an email from in your MyCCRI mailbox when the school gets this notification.

In addition, you will receive a package from the VA in the mail with information regarding your benefits. One of the most important things in this package is your Certificate of Eligibility. This piece of paper tells you which type benefit you have elected to use and what percentage you are eligible for. A copy of this letter needs to be submitted to Enrollment Services.

The next step the veteran is to complete the CCRI Student Veteran’s Certification Worksheet. You can find it here:

No money will come from the VA until this form is filled out, submitted, and the Certifying Official confirms your enrollment status.

For veterans utilizing Chapter 33 (Post 9-11) or dependents utilizing Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependent Assistance), once the VA gets your certification information, they will send your tuition payment to the school. Keep in mind that this amount is based on the percentage for which you are rated in your COE. In other words, if you are rated at 80%, the VA will pay 80% of your tuition and fees.

Note: For veterans utilizing Chapters 30, 1607 or 1606, your tuition and fees will NOT be paid for by the VA. You are responsible for these charges.

When utilizing Chapter 33 or 35, the student is also eligible for a book stipend that will vary based on their current courseload.

When utilizing Chapter 31, the student should contact their Voc Rehab counselor and have them submit a form 1905 to the bookstore to receive his or her stipend.

All educational benefits through the VA issue out a monthly stipend which varies in value based on the chapter and time spent on active duty. These payments are sent out at the end each month, and the first may take a week or two longer than that. They are also pro-rated if the school was not in session for the entire month.