Skip to Main ContentSearch Site

Frequently Asked Questions

For International Students

These are some of the questions international students have about applying and acceptance at CCRI.

When can I apply to CCRI as an international student?

We only accept international students in the fall. To make sure we have time to process your application, prospective students outside the U.S. need to submit the completed application by May 31 for the fall semester, which starts in September. Students already in the U.S. need to submit completed applications by June 30.

What are the registration and placement requirements at CCRI?

Registration and placement in classes is dependent upon English proficiency, ACCUPLACER testing and individual program requirements.

What education documentation do I need to provide?

You must submit official transcripts of all study completed at the high school and college level to an official approved evaluation agency listed on the international student application packet. We must receive certification by the agency, providing proof of a U.S. high school diploma equivalent directly. You may not submit the documentation directly to CCRI.

If you attended a U.S. college or university full-time for one year, the high school diploma equivalency can be waived. Submit official transcripts from all U.S. colleges or universities you attended.

Do all my admissions requirements have to be submitted before I can register for classes?

You will only be admitted and allowed to register for classes after all admission requirements are fulfilled. These requirements must be completed prior starting in the fall.

How do I show English proficiency?

The Test of English as a World Language (TOEFL) is offered worldwide several times during the year. CCRI requires a minimum score of 500 on the paper-based TOEFL or 61 on the internet-based test, as international students are not eligible to take English as a Second Language (ESL) classes.

If my native and first language is English, do I need to take the TOEFL?

No, but you will be required to take the ACCUPLACER assessment test.

If I completed an English-as-a-Second Language program at another institution, do I still have to take the TOEFL when applying to the college?

Yes, and you will need to meet the minimum score of 500 on the paper-based TOEFL or 61 on the internet-based test.

If I arrive in Rhode Island after classes start, can I still attend?

You must arrive in Rhode Island prior to the start of your SEVIS I-20, but not more than 30 days before the start date. You must arrive before classes begin to ensure all necessary documentation has been submitted, and that you have time to complete ACCUPLACER testing, registration and orientation.

Will I be able to participate in varsity sports at CCRI?

If you are interested in varsity athletics, you are welcome to try out. Find out more about athletics and teams at CCRI.

Is financial aid available for international students?

As an international student, you are not eligible for financial aid through the Community College of Rhode Island. EduPASS has more information about resources available to international students.

What is required for proof of financial support?

As an international student, you will pay out-of-state tuition. You must show you have the financial means to pay for your education, or that you have a sponsor who will fund your education. Complete the CCRI Declaration of Financial Resources/Affidavit of Support, included in the International Student Application Packet, or have your sponsor complete the form, and have it notarized.

What needs to be in a notarized bank letter?

CCRI requires a notarized letter from your bank as part of your application. This letter needs to be on bank letterhead, signed by bank officials in the last six months, showing a cash savings balance equivalent to at least $30,300 U.S. dollars in your sponsor's account.

How do I receive an I-20 form?

After you are officially accepted into the Community College of Rhode Island, you will receive a SEVIS Form I-20 in your CCRI acceptance packet. A SEVIS I-20 is not a visa.

What is SEVIS?

The Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is a web-based system for maintaining international student and exchange visitor information in the United States.

What is the SEVIS I-901 fee?

You or your sponsor must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee before applying for your F-1 visa. You must have the receipt to petition for your F-1 Visa.

How do I get my F-1 Visa?

Make an appointment with a United States Embassy or Consulate in your home country to petition for an F-1 Visa. You will need to provide the following documentation: SEVIS Form I-20, I-901 fee receipt, copy of the CCRI Declaration of Financial Resources/Affidavit of Support document, copy of notarized bank letter and CCRI acceptance letter.

If my home country denies my petition for an F-1 visa, do I have to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee when I apply to CCRI again?

If you apply to CCRI again, we will issue a new I-20, with a new identification number, so your previous I-901 fee receipt will not match. You will be required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee again.

Are there specific U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requirements for an F-1 student?

You must maintain full-time status (a minimum of 12 credits) each semester while maintaining all F-1 regulations in accordance with the U.S. government.

Can I work while on an F-1 student visa?

As an international student on an F-1 student visa, your primary objective is to study and attend class as a student. After your first successful semester, you can apply for on-campus work only. You may work 20 hours a week during the academic semester and 40 hours a week during the summer. However, due to limited on-campus job availability, do not assume there will on-campus jobs available.

Are there evaluation and/or translation agencies for foreign educational documents accepted by CCRI?

Here is a list of agencies approved by CCRI.

Center for Educational Documentation

Box 170116
Boston, MA 02117
[email protected]

Educational Credential Evaluators

P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470

Education Evaluators International, Inc.

125-28 Queens Blvd, #701
Kew Gardens, NY 11415

Globe Language Services, Inc.

305 Broadway, Suite 401
New York, NY 10007

SpanTran Evaluation Services

450 Seventh Ave., Suite 804
New York, NY 10123

World Education Services, Inc.

Bowling Green Station
PO Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087

What do I need to do after I'm accepted?

Congratulations! We are very happy to have you as a CCRI international student. As soon as you are accepted, there are a number of things we need to make sure you can register for classes. The SEVIS I-20 you received in your acceptance packet will help you petition for an F-1 student visa.

Make an appointment with our international admissions counselor Rob Giovino: [email protected] or 401-825-2288.

At the appointment bring the following:

Rob Giovino
PDSO-International Student Admissions
Community College of Rhode Island
400 East Avenue
Warwick, RI 02886