Roles and Responsibilities of Disability Services
- The Disability Services office is responsible for the hiring and payment of sign language interpreting services for eligible enrolled CCRI student only for CCRI credit bearing courses and academic activities required by such courses.
- Before the first class, the Disability Services Center will notify professor(s) that the student will be using an interpreter and send guidelines to help professors understand the needs of a student who is deaf or hard of hearing.
- The host of any other CCRI sponsored event, which is not directly related to an enrolled CCRI student in a CCRI credit bearing course or course related academic activity (Ex. entertainment, workshops, trainings, professional development, continuing education courses, orientations, meetings, social events, administrative interviews/appointments, productions, invited lectures, etc), is responsible for providing sign language interpreters (arranging, hiring and payment) for the event.
- Students needing Sign Language Interpreter services for CCRI courses should fill out the request on the DSS website once registered fro classes. This should be done no less than 2 weeks before the beginning of the semester. It is not guaranteed that students will be provided with their choice of interpreter .
- If an interpreter cannot be found, the student may need to drop the course or DSS may offer the use of CART (Computer Aided Real-time Transcription) as an accommodation. If CART cannot be found, the student may need to drop the course.
- At the first Student/Interpreter meeting, the students and interpreter should exchange email addresses and/or telephone numbers for notification in the case of an emergency resulting in the inability to attend class.
- Students are expected to fulfill their responsibilities: to attend class, be on time and notify the Disability Services Center and Interpreter if they will be late or cannot attend class.
- Students should notify the Disability Services Center immediately if a scheduled Interpreter does not attend class and does not send a substitute.
If you wish to request an Interpreter, please fill out the Request for ASL/CART Interpreter form.
If you wish to request an Interpreter for a meeting or appointment, please fill out the Appointment Request for ASL/CART Meeting form.
It is the responsibility of the interpreter/CART reporter to submit their own monthly invoicing. Once in the system, you will be receiving a PO number that you will indicate on your monthly invoices. The PO number will be sent to you via email.
Helpful Resources for Interpreters:
Please familiarize yourself with the college calendar for the current semester so you are aware of Holidays, Vacations and any other dates which may affect scheduling.