Importing Your Quiz Into Respondus
A. When you first open Respondus, you will want to make sure Blackboard 6.3 -9.x is selected from the Current Personality drop-down list.
B. Click on Import Questions.
Once you click on Import Questions, the Import Question dialog box will open, follow the below steps to import your quiz:
1. Select the type of file that will be imported. The “Standard Format” for organizing questions is the same for Plain Text (.txt) and Rich Text (.rtf) files. Files that are in rich text (.rtf) format will retain some of the enhanced question formatting such as bold, italic, underline, superscript, and subscript.
2. Use the Browse button to locate and select the file to be imported.
3. Select "Create a new document' and you will then need to enter the name of the file to be created.
4. Select Exam for the "Type of file to create".
Each question being imported will have a “title”. If you don’t specify a title for each question in the text file itself, Respondus will automatically use the first 20 characters of the question wording as the question title.
5. Click the Preview button to preview the file being imported and to see if there are any warning messages. If warning messages are shown at the bottom of the screen, you need to determine whether to make changes to the text file or whether to continue with the import.
NOTE: Some warning messages can be ignored. For instance, Respondus might give the warning "2 duplicate titles were changed by adding '2' (or 3, 4...)". This is simply indicating that two of the question titles for the file being imported are identical. Since two question titles in Respondus cannot be identical, the warning message is simply indicating that the duplicate title is having a number such as "2" added to the end of it to make it distinct. This change does not affect the question itself (titles aren't displayed during an exam), so most users can safely ignore this warning.
6. If you are satisfied with how the results look in the Preview, click Finish to complete the import.
The Respondus file has now been created.
The Preview and Publish menu let's you determine what to do with the file. Most users will first want to examine the contents of the file using the Preview task. When the questions are ready to be uploaded, the Publish to Blackboard task connects Respondus to the Blackboard server and transfers the exam to it.
The preview window shows how the question wording and answer choices will appear to students when they take the exam. The feedback and correct answer for the question is additionally displayed at the bottom of the window. Once you are satisfied with the appearance of all the questions and answers, click Close.
You are now ready to publish your quiz to Blackboard.
A. From the Preview and Publish page, select Publish to Blackboard on the left hand side of the page.
B. Click on the Publish Wizard.
The Publish Wizard now opens and you will need to fill out parts of the form to allow Respondus to bring your quiz into your particular Blackboard Course.
NOTE: Leave "Create New Pool" and "Replace Existing Pool" unchecked along with all the options for "Additional options for Exam/Survey".
Please review a video tutorial here.