Music Theory Advising Assessment
Welcome to the CCRI Department of Music's preregistration assessment for Music Theory 1. The purpose of this brief assessment is to help guide you in your enrollment process. This assistance is offered to you with an eye toward providing you the following three benefits:
- That you will be more informed about the nature of our program's Music Theory curriculum.
- That you will enter the curriculum at the level that is appropriate to your current knowledge and skill level.
- That, as a result, you'll be more likely to enjoy higher achievement throughout your progress in the curriculum and a successful outcome to your studies.
The assessment will present and quiz you on samples of basic music theory and notation concepts. You should be well-prepared and strongly competent in these matters prior to enrolling in the MUSC 1700 Music Theory 1. Prior to or after taking the assessment, you may wish to review these basic concepts by consulting with either of the following texts used by the department:
- Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory (Books 1-3); Units 1-14
- McGraw-Hill's Music in Theory & Practice, Vol. 1; Chapters 1-4.
If upon submitting the assessment you receive a score less than 80%, it is advised that you postpone registering for MUSC 1700 Music Theory 1 until you have completed one of the following two options:
- Enroll, complete, and pass the MUSC 1010 Foundations in Music course, which runs each semester in many available sections of both traditional or online formats.
- Spoken with Chairperson of the Department of Music for further consultation and advising.
We look forward to you joining with us in enjoying and studying music here in the Department of Music. We stand ready to assist you with all of your enrollment questions, and we wish you well in your studies!