Health Care Interpreter
Certificate in Health Care Interpreter (CERT_INTC)
This program is under revision and not currently accepting students.
Occupational Title: Health Care Interpreter
Liston Campus, Providence only
The Health Care Interpreter certificate program is a two-semester program that prepares
an assistant-level practitioner for the healthcare community. These individuals are
prepared to provide high quality and skilled interpreting services in a variety of
healthcare facilities; acute care, long-term care and community health care agencies.
The program includes a total of 16 credits for three distinct courses. Students gain
an understanding of the critical role that healthcare interpreters fulfill within
the healthcare team through theory presented in the classroom, simulated clinical
experiences, as well as practice experience in the selected healthcare settings.
Note: Many courses require prerequisites, corequisites and/or testing. See course descriptions for details.
See important general policies in the beginning of this section on the performance-based
Health Sciences application process, academic progress, advanced placement, background
check, CPR certification, health insurance, health records, reinstatement, transportation,
uniforms and equipment.
Minimum requirements to apply to the Health Care Interpreter certificate program:
- CCRI application – Complete and submit a CCRI Application for Enrollment. General Studies should be
the first choice; INTC should be the second choice.
- High school transcript – An official copy of a high school or GED transcript, including date of graduation,
must be provided. If the applicant holds a baccalaureate degree from an accredited
college or university, the high school transcript may be waived; a college transcript
must indicate completion and degree awarded.
- Placement testing – Must earn English placement test results (ACCUPLACER) issued by CCRI’s Department
of Advising and Counseling:
- Reading comprehension test must show competency of 80 or above OR students must complete
ENGL 0890 - Critical Reading with a grade of “B-” or better.
- Readiness to take ENGL 1005 - College Writing or higher OR the applicant must have
completed ENGL 0500 - Basics of Composition with a “C” or higher or ENGL 0250 - Compensatory
Writing Skills with a “B-“ or higher or ENGL 1300 - Composition I for Speakers of
English as a Second Language with a “C” or higher.
- Completion of the Versant Oral Proficiency Test in Spanish with a minimum score of
76 (test available at Knight Campus only). Requirements 1, 2 and 3 above must be completed before taking the Oral Proficiency
Test in Spanish.
- Health Sciences application – Complete and submit a performance-based Health Sciences application including a
preadmission degree evaluation.
- Background Check – Students are required to submit a background check when directed by Enrollment Services.
Results of BCI (Bureau of Criminal Investigation) check may prevent admission due to clinical agencies’ requirements.
- IMPORTANT: Submission of a performance-based Health Sciences application does not guarantee
acceptance to the program. At the time of admission, the student must meet the current
admission requirements. Students declining acceptance into the program must resubmit
a performance-based Health Sciences application and meet the current admission requirements.
- Student must successfully complete all courses in the Health Care Interpreter program
to be certificate eligible.
- Student must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher throughout the program to be certificate
- Students must have required immunizations completed before any field work.
- Course sequence: RHAB 1010 - Medical Terminology of Rehabilitative Health and INTC
1300 - Interpreting in Health Care I, both with a grade of “C” or better is required
for progression to INTC 1310 - Interpreting in Health Care II.
RECOMMENDED COURSE SEQUENCE
Note: Students must be accepted into the program before taking major requirements.
||Medical Terminology for Rehabilitative Health
||Health Care Interpreter I
||Interpreting in Health Care II
Total Certificate Requirements Credits 16
Total Program Credits 16