Peer Tutor Job Description
Purpose of Job:
Assist students in academic achievement by meeting them on a regular basis to clarify
learning problems and work on study skills. Tutoring is a supplement to teaching.
Tutors earn $10.50 per hour to start and can eventually earn up to $10.85 per hour.
Paid training is provided and the training program is nationally certified by CRLA.
Tutors work flexible schedules - we schedule appointments around the tutor's availability.
Tutoring is offered on all campuses. Please contact the following Campus Coordinator
to arrange for an interview.
Liston & Newport Campuses: Tatianna Williams: 455-6026
Flanagan Campus: Tom Skouras 333-7473
Knight Campus: Joanne Galliano 825-1166
The minimum eligibility requirements to become a tutor:
- Student earned at least a grade "B" in the subject(s) they tutor
- Overall grade point average of 3.0
- Faculty Referral form completed by the instructor or department chairperson
- Good communication skills - able to get along with a wide range of personalities and
academic skill levels
- Reliable; this is a job and the tutors need an excellent attendance record
- Tutor must be registered for at least six (6) credits the semester they work on-campus
- Meet with students on a one-to-one, small-group, drop-in, or classroom tutoring format(s)
to give learning assistance.
- Review tutor contract with each student during their first session to establish the
parameters of the tutoring relationship.
- Check your Tutor Trac Schedule & CCRI email weekly to receive work notifications.
- Sign into and out of TutorTrac for all activities conducted within the SSC or class/labs.
- Each semester provide the SSC Coordinator a weekly schedule of when you are available
- If unable to keep your scheduled appointment, cancel through Tutor Trac at least 24
hours in advance.
- Exchange contact information with students to contact them directly with schedule
- Inform campus coordinator if your student misses two appointments in a row or routinely
arrives to their session late without notifying you.
- Inform campus coordinator if you have cancelled a session or permanently changed the
- Wait at least 15 minutes for student to appear for their appointment.
- Contact instructors if necessary, to obtain course syllabi or materials or to discuss
- Attend mandatory tutor-training sessions as required by the Campus Coordinator.
- Attend additional workshops in order to obtain CRLA Certification.
- Assist with additional duties as needed, for example, covering front desk, assisting
with New Student Welcome activities, organizing materials, and performing other clerical