To support the ongoing learning and reflection necessary to contribute to an anti-racist society, we share the following list of anti-racism resources. These are just some of the many articles, books, podcasts, and videos related to anti-racism. If you would like to suggest an additional resource to this list, please send us an email.
Black Lives Matter
Booktastebythomo.com: Books to be anti-racist
Eyes on the prize
Code Switch by NPR
Books and Publications:
Adams, M. (Ed.). (2000). Readings for diversity and social justice. Psychology Press.
Feagin, J. (2013). Systemic racism: A theory of oppression. Routledge.
Linder, C., Harris, J. C., Allen, E. L., & Hubain, B. (2015). Building inclusive pedagogy: Recommendations from a national study of students of color in higher education and student affairs graduate programs. Equity & Excellence in Education, 48, 178-194.doi:10.1080/10665684.2014.959270
Johnson, A. G. (2001). Power, privilege, and difference. Mountain View, CA: Mayfield.
Lau, M. Y., & Williams, C. D. (2010). Microaggressions research: Methodological review and recommendations. In: D. W. Sue (Ed.). Microaggressions and marginality: Manifestation, dynamics and impact (pp. 313–336). New York, NY: Wiley
Nadal, K. L., Wong, Y., Griffin, K. E., Davidoff, K., & Sriken, J. (2014). The adverse impact of racial microaggressions on college students’ self-esteem. Journal of College Student Development, 55, 461-474. doi:10.1353/csd.2014.0051
Ross, L. (2016). Blackballed: The Black and White Politics of Race on America’s Campuses. Macmillan.
Sue, D. W. (2003). Overcoming our racism: The journey to liberation. John Wiley & Sons.
Black Lives Matter Syllabus 2016:
- Marc Lamont Hill, Nobody: Casualties of America’s War on the Vulnerable, from Ferguson to Flint and Beyond (Simon & Schuster, 2016)
- Michelle Alexander, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness (New Press, 2012)
- Angela Davis, Are Prisons Obsolete? (7 Stories Press, 2003)
- African American Policy Forum, Say Her Name: Resisting Police Brutality Against Black Women (African American Policy Forum Report, 2015)
- Movement for Black Lives, A Vision for Black Lives: Policy Demands for Black Power, Freedom, and Justice (Movement for Black Lives Policy Platform, 2016)
- Assorted essays by Cornel West, Alicia Garza, Audre Lorde, Kimberle Williams Crenshaw, Shaun King, and more available at BlackLivesMatterSyllabus.com