Contact InformationMaureen Abbate
Dr. Karen Petit
Web Site Content Manager
- Practice Activities for Reading Classes
- Reading and Learning Skills
- Reading Comprehension
- Sources of Information for Readers
Activities for English 0312 – English as a Second Language: Reading I
- Englishpage.com has grammar, verb, and vocabulary exercises, as well as a reading room, a listening lounge, and dictionaries.
- The Grammar Form and Function Online Learning Centershave three levels of online activities, including reading and listening practice quizzes:
- Groundwork for a Better Vocabulary has a website with vocabulary exercises.
- The Internet TESL Journal has activities and links to dictionaries.
- Pearsonwriting.com has online ESL quizzes, as well as other grammar quizzes.
- Activities for English 0700 – Essential Reading Skills
- Activities for English 0850 – Basic College Reading
Activities for English 0890 – Critical Reading for College Success
- Active Vocabulary has vocabulary flashcards, quizzes, and other exercises.
- College Reading and Study Skills has summaries, quizzes, and Internet exercises.
- Reading and All That Jazz has quizzes, objectives, journal questions, links, and exercises.
- Reading for Thinking has suggestions, exercises, handouts, and Web links to other reading sites.
- English-test.net has over 1800 practice tests (including vocabulary, grammar, ESL, listening, TOEFL, SAT, and GRE tests).
- Laraine Flemming's website has information, practice exercises, handouts, and Web links.
- The Longman Study Skills site has tips, exercises, and Internet resources.
- Providence College has suggestions for reading and speed reading.
- The University of Connecticut has information and links to other sites.
- Cuesta College has suggestions on improving reading comprehension skills.
- Penn State University's site describes the SQ3R system and has tips for readers.
- Wadsworth Cengage Learning has reading comprehension quizzes.
- Capital Community College has suggestions and quizzes for building vocabulary.
- Dictionary.com has a dictionary, thesaurus, encyclopedia, translator, games, and puzzles.
- The Longman Vocabulary website has activities focused on word parts, definitions, synonyms, antonyms, homonyms, and other areas.
- The Community College of Rhode Island Library has many sources of information, including periodical databases for finding articles and other electronic resources (reference sources, career information, practice tests and skills improvement, etc.) To access the databases/electronic resources from off-campus, students will need to use their activated library card.
This page developed and maintained by Writing Center. Send comments and suggestions to .