Program Mission & Outcomes
The Opticianry Program at the Community College of Rhode Island prepares students
for licensure and employment as Opticians. Commitment to excellence in student preparation
yields graduates that possess ethical practice standards, demonstrate outstanding
technical competence, and incorporate critical thinking into all aspects of eye care.
The program promotes a commitment to the profession of Opticianry, the importance
of life long learning, and the value of community service.
- Graduates will demonstrate appropriate conduct and ethical behavior as defined by
the Ophthalmic Regulatory Agencies and applicable jurisdictional regulation of opticianry
- Graduates will demonstrate a sound understanding of the structure and function of
the normal human eye, and will apply this knowledge to drive critical decisions while
dispensing corrective eyewear.
- Graduates will determine eyewear needs incorporating the prescription for eyewear
or contact lenses according to the prescription provided by an Ophthalmologist or
- Graduates will be sensitive to individual and cultural differences while dispensing
or repairing eyewear.
- Graduates will demonstrate competence in interpreting the prescription and using tools
to assess the eyewear needs of the patient.
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to select the most appropriate lenses and frames
according to the prescription and the patient’s facial measurements and lifestyle
- Graduates will demonstrate competency using tools and procedures to adjust, fit, and
- Graduates will demonstrate comprehensive, accurate, organized and timely written and
verbal communication skills in the provision of patient care and related activities.
- Graduates will utilize effective time management skills and good organizational skills
in their role as an Optician.