Search SiteSkip to local NavigationSkip to Main Content

Prior Learning Assessment


Am I eligible for prior learning credit?

You must be currently registered and accepted into a degree program at CCRI to earn Credit for Prior Learning, and the prior learning must be used toward credits in your program of study. If any of the following apply to you, please contact Doug Flor -- or 401-825-2072 – for more information about applying for prior learning credit.

-- GED, with score of 175-200
-- Advanced Placement (AP) exams
-- UExcel® and Excelsior College® Examinations
-- College Board College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
-- DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST)
-- Departmental Challenge Tests

-- Standardized Credit Awards for workplace training (e.g., police academy, apprenticeships, real estate)
-- Corporate-sponsored training
-- Military training and experience

-- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
-- Credits from other colleges and universities
-- Department of Defense Servicemembers Opportunity College (DoD SOC) Programs

-- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) portfolio

What if I have credits from another college or university?

If you have credits from other accredited colleges and universities, these credits might be transferable to CCRI. Have official copies of your transcripts forwarded to the Office of Enrollment Services: or 401-825-2003. Credits from other institutions are subject to the CCRI's transfer of credit policy.

How many credits can I earn?

The number of credits you receive from sources other than the Community College of Rhode Island is limited to half the number of credits for your degree program. In most cases, 30 is the maximum number of credits you may earn through the use of CLEP Tests, CCRI Challenge Exams, sponsored learning, military training and the PLA Petition process.

Active Duty Military Personnel are exempt. As a Service-Members Opportunity College, CCRI requires active duty military complete 25% of their program at the college.

Are these credits transferable?

The American Council on Education's credit recommendations are recognized nationally, with more than 1,800 colleges and universities accepting ACE recommendations. Degree requirements differ from institution to institution, and how these credits are applied may differ, but in most instances institutions will recognize these credits.

Additionally, the Rhode Island Council on Postsecondary Education developed a list of course equivalencies for the purposes of transfer among Rhode Island institutions.

If you are planning to transfer to another institution, please review that institution's degree requirements and transfer of credit policies. If you have questions about transfer requirements or how to find them, don't hesitate to contact Advising and Counseling for more information: or 401-825-2301.

What are the fees?

Fees vary depending on the option you choose.
-- See fees for College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
-- Corporate-sponsored training, Standardized Credit Awards, and military experience will be assessed a flat fee of $25.
-- Departmental Challenge Tests are $10 per credit.
-- Credits earned through the Petition process are $10 per credit.
-- Credits transferred from another accredited educational institution are subject to CCRI's transfer of credit policy.
The Community College will only post credits that can be used toward completion of your field of study.

How do I begin the process?

Contact Doug Flor -- or 401-825-2072 – and tell him you are interested in getting Credit for Prior Learning.

Contact Information

Lisa Robichaud, M.Ed.

Main Office:
Knight Campus
Room 4218 

This page developed and maintained by Prior Learning. Send comments and suggestions to .

Last Updated: 3/1/17