Peer Tutor Job Description
Purpose of Job:
Assist students in academic achievement by meeting them on a regular basis to clarify learning problems and work on study skills. Tutoring is a supplement to teaching. Tutoring positions are available on all campuses.
- Completion of a particular course in which tutoring is being done with earning a grade of at least a "B"
- Recommendation from an instructor of each course you wish to tutor.
- Overall GPA of 2.5
- Good interpersonal communication skills and ease in relating to people from varying educational, cultural, and social backgrounds.
- Excellent level of responsibility, reliability, and punctuality.
- Appropriate and professional behavior at all times.
- Current enrollment or registration as a CCRI student, with at least 6 credits.
- Meet with students on a one-to-one, small-group, drop-in, or classroom tutoring format(s) to give learning assistance.
- Review tutor contract with each student during their first session to establish the parameters of the tutoring relationship.
- Check CCRI email (or preferred email) weekly to receive work notifications.
- Sign into and out of TutorTrac for all activities conducted within the SSC or class/labs.
- Each semester provide the SSC Coordinator a weekly schedule of when you are available for work. Inform Coordinator at least 24 hours in advance if you are not able to keep your schedule or need to change your semester schedule.
- Call your students with 24 hours advanced notice if unable to keep your scheduled session.
- Exchange contact information with students to contact them directly with schedule changes.
- Inform campus coordinator with students to contact them directly with schedule changes.
- Inform campus coordinator if you have cancelled a session or permanently changed the schedule.
- Take weekly attendance for all tutoring sessions and report if student(s) misses two appointments in a row or routinely arrive to their session late.
- Wait at least 15 minutes for student to appear for their appointment. If student does not appear for their appointment, tutors may elect to use the remaining session time to prepare for other tutoring sessions.
- Contact instructors if necessary, to obtain course syllabi or materials or to discuss the curriculum.
- Attend mandatory tutor-training sessions as required by the Campus Coordinator.
- Attend additional workshops in order to obtain CRLA Certification.
- Assist with additional duties as needed, for example, covering front desk, assisting with New Student Orientation, organizing materials, performing other clerical duties.