Veterans Education


Veteran Services Office

The Veteran services offices are located on each of the 4 CCRI campuses. They provide assistance for student veterans and dependents to navigate the process of applying for VA educational benefits and also provide guidance with the many other resources available at CCRI.

VetSuccess on Campus

CCRI was chosen by the VA to participate as one of original eight schools nationwide for the VetSuccess on Campus pilot program in 2010. The program is to provide outreach, support and assistance with all VA benefits. Ms. Micaela Black Estrella, the VetSuccess On-campus Coordinator, can be reached at (401) 612-3470 or via email at: Click here for more information.

CCRI Certification of VA Benefits

Certification of VA benefits is completed by the Veteran Certifying Officials in the Office of Enrollment Services at the Knight Campus. The certifying officials serve as liaisons between the College and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Once enrollment is complete, the certifying officials report accurate enrollment statuses to the VA concerning students receiving VA education benefits.

Service members/veterans, who qualify for one of the following eligibility statuses (described below) should review the Veterans Affairs (VA) Certification and CCRI Enrollment Steps link below. The information is designed to assist students in completing the necessary steps to receive VA Educational Benefits.

Eligibility Status

General Information

Advance pay - CCRI does not participate in advance pay. Students are responsible for their tuition and fees; however, CCRI encourages students to enroll in the Easy Pay deferred payment program. For additional information, visit the Bursar’s Office website at

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill Only - The VA will send tuition and fee payment directly to the college based on percentage approved by the VA. Students are responsible for any unpaid balance.

Waivers - The following Waivers and Tuition Assistance Programs are handled through the Bursar’s Office:

  • Disabled American Veterans Waiver
  • STAP - State Tuition Assistance Program

Declaring a major (program of study) - Students are allowed to enroll in courses for two semesters without declaring a major (program of study). Once accepted to a program of study, courses taken must fulfill the requirements for that program, which may include pre-requisite courses. Courses not required for the program and courses that are repeated by choice that have received a passing grade will not be included as part of the certification; therefore, will not be reimbursed by the VA.

Military or Prior Learning Experiential credits - for information about military or prior learning experiential credits, visit or contact Douglas L. Flor, Ph.D. at (401) 825-2072.

Academic Support - A wide variety of support services are available to assist students with academic related matters:

Information Sessions - CCRI holds Admissions Information Sessions for new and current (non-degree) students to introduce them to what CCRI has to offer. To find an available Admissions Information Session, please use the Available Courses link available in the Quick Links section of the CCRI Home Page, or by clicking here. Use the SEARCH by subject, day, time and site link, select a term and select Admissions Information Session using the Subject: listing.

Helpful VA links & Telephone Numbers

  • To apply for VA benefits online:
  • To verify your monthly enrollment to the VA:
  • (888) 442-4551 VA related problems (enter “1” for touchtone and then enter “0” to reach a counselor)
  • (800) 829-4833 TDD number for hearing impaired
  • (401) 223-3605 RI Vocational Rehabilitation Division
  • (716) 857-3148 Program Assistant for answering questions about VACERT and VA-ONCE


New education benefit - Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill)

Who is eligible for Chapter 33 - Post-9/11 GI Bill?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

When is Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill effective?

The Chapter 33 – Post-9/11 GI Bill goes into effect on August 1, 2009.

Is the Chapter 33 - Post-9/11 GI Bill benefit transferrable to a veteran’s spouse or dependents?

Veterans should follow up with their VA educational officer for information on potential transferability.

What is the main website for the VA?

Student Veterans Organization

The Students Veterans Organization (SVO) provides a network of support for military veterans, their families and supporters. Secondly, the club educates the college community about the experiences of military veterans and works with the college administration to meet the needs of current and prospective student veterans.

For details about the Veterans Club contact:

Antonio Angelino  , Club Advisor
Knight Campus Police

Vanessa Torres, President
Student Veterans Organization

CCRI Veteran Certification Contact Information

Students interested in more information about enrollment certification should contact the Veteran Services Office via e-mail at or by calling (401) 825-2003.


Contact Information

Veterans Services Office

Knight Campus
Room 0034
Tel: 401 825-2281

Flanagan Campus
Room 2312
Tel: 401 333-7349

Liston Campus
Room 2220
Tel: 401 455-6056

Newport County Campus
Room 204
Tel: 401 851-1659


Patrick Elkins
Knight Campus
Room 0034


Micaela Black

Andrea M. Lachapelle
Web Content Manager

This page developed and maintained by Office of Enrollment Services. Send comments and suggestions to .

Last Updated: 2/12/18