- HESI Admission Assessment for Nursing Pre-Admission
HESI Admission Assessment
For Nursing Pre-Admission
- Beginning Oct. 1, 2014, the HESI A2 admission test will be required for students applying to the Nursing program at CCRI.
All students submitting applications in the February 2015 PBHS application period
or later must take the HESI A2 admission test. Please plan accordingly.
- The test will be divided into two major categories: English and math. The categories
will be further divided into three English tests and one math test. The English tests
include reading comprehension, vocabulary/general knowledge, and grammar.
- The test will take approximately four hours to complete, but it is not a timed test.
- A drop down calculator is provided within the exam.
- It is strongly recommended this test be taken after completion of prerequisite courses.
- A score of 75 percent on each test will be required to be eligible to apply to the
- If you do not achieve a 75 percent on one or more of the tests, you may retake the
necessary test(s) once within the next 12 months. A minimum of two weeks between exams
- Students are limited to two attempts within a 12-month period and the results are
good for one year from the date the original test was taken.
- You may transfer in eligible scores as long as they meet above criteria.
(All tests contain 55 questions - 50 scored and five piloted.)
- Provides reading scenarios to measure reading comprehension, identify the main idea,
find the meaning of words in context, make logical inferences, etc. Recommended time:
Vocabulary and General Knowledge:
- Contains vocabulary terms that are commonly used in both general English-speaking
settings and in health care fields. Recommended time: 50 minutes
- Contains basic grammar, including parts of speech, important terms and their uses,
commonly occurring grammatical errors, etc. Recommended time: 50 minutes
- Focuses on math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction,
multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, general
math facts, etc. Recommended time: 50 minutes.
The HESI Admissions Assessment Exam Review book, 3rd Edition (ISBN 9781455703333)
is the best resource for students preparing for the HESI Admission Assessment Exam.
It is also available as an e-book.