- Before you publish... - a checklist for you to make sure you have important features on each page of your
site. [Learn more about the checklist]
- SEO 101: Hyphens vs. Underscores in URLs - URLs with hyphens rather than underscores are preferred by Google for identifying
what a page is about. Underscores are treated as "word joiners" whereas hyphens are
treated as "word separators". Hence hyphens make URLs easier for search engines–and
real people–to read. [Learn more about Hyphens vs. Underscores]
- New Search Engine - The new CCRI search engine provides ad-free, up-to-date, search functionality,
making it easier to find the information you're looking for. Search result pages are
styled to match our website and are mobile-friendly. We can control the search function
through an admin panel to exclude or promote pages and results. [Learn more about the search engine]
- New Calendar: The Events@CCRI calendar, powered by Bedework, conforms to current calendaring standards, is open source, made for higher education,
built on Java, and has a centralized server architecture. The Events@CCRI user interface
was modeled after the Yale University design and was originally developed by adapting code that Duke University shared with Yale University. [Learn more about events.ccri.edu]
- Faculty and Staff get new website platform We've added a new "Faculty Directory" module to our content management system, OmniUpdate.
This will allow faculty and staff to maintain their own websites from anywhere with
an Internet connection and a browser! [Learn more about Faculty Directory]
- Student help wanted! - This fall, learn while you earn. Build and update web page structure and content.
Provide web services support to the college community. Other duties may include creating
training materials, documentation and conducting general administrative tasks. [Learn more and apply]
- How Important Is Semantic HTML? - Semantic HTML is using HTML to reinforce structural meaning. It’s about using tags,
class names, and IDs that reinforce the meaning of the content within the tags. Screen
readers use semantic HTML to accurately translate the content for sight-impaired people.
[Learn more about semantic HTML]
- Get RoboForm Everywhere Password Manager for Free - Students, faculty & staff free with a valid college email address. Log into websites
with one click. Your one Master Password is the only password you'll need to remember.
[Learn more about Roboform] [Get Free college version now]
- VIDEO TUTORIALS: Working With the New Templates in OU Campus - If you are a content manager at CCRI these videos will help you learn how to work
with the new responsive design templates for the management and editing of your site
content. [Watch videos]
- Make your Word documents accessible - This topic gives you step-by-step instructions to make your Word documents accessible
to people with disabilities. Word has many features built-in that help people with
different abilities to read and author documents. Word also offers the Accessibility
Checker that locates elements that might cause problems for people with disabilities.
[Learn more about making your Word docs accessible]
- Accessibility - Help eliminate the digital divide. Web Services and the college's Web Content Managers are partners, working toward
reaching and maintaining ADA compliance for the college's multimedia presence. [Learn more about CCRI's ADA compliance goals]
- OmniUpdate Learning Management System (LMS) - The OU Campus LMS offers training courses and materials related to the use and
administration of OU Campus. The courses are self-paced and include videos, quizzes, and related technical and
reference material. The LMS is a resource that is available to all administrators
and users for the college. Learn how to get started.
- World's Best Headlines: BBC News - Precise communication in a handful of words? The editors at BBC News achieve it
every day, offering remarkable headline usability. It's hard enough to write for the
Web and meet the guidelines for concise, scannable, and objective content. It's even
harder to write Web headlines. [Learn more about writing headlines]
- Website Planning Guide - The first step in designing any website is to define your goals. Without a clearly
stated mission and objectives, the project will drift, bog down, or continue past
an appropriate endpoint. Careful planning and a clear purpose are the keys to success
in building websites, particularly when you are working as part of a development team.
[Learn more about website planning]
- Earn an "A" in Accessibility - Let's make CCRI's website even better. To adhere to accessibility guidelines, no link text should read "click here" or "read
more," and no page should have duplicate link titles. Always specify what the visitor
is clicking on, what they are reading more about. [Learn more about accessibility]
- Web Workshop Wednesdays - CCRI website content managers can join Web Services for "Web Workshop Wednesdays."
Every Wednesday from 3 to 4 p.m., we will hold an open workshop for CCRI website content
managers. [Read More about Web Workshop Wednesdays]
- Avoid PDF for On-Screen Reading - Summary: Forcing users to browse PDF files makes usability approximately 300% worse
compared to HTML pages. Only use PDF for documents that users are likely to print.
In those cases, following six basic guidelines will minimize usability problems. [Learn more about PDFs and On-Screen Reading]