Strange behavior may be a possible sign of a virus, such behavior maybe caused by software bugs, user errors, or hardware failures. The only way to be sure a virus is present is to run virus scanning software. However, here are some likely signs of a virus:
- The computer runs slower than usual.
- The computer stops responding, or it locks up frequently.
- The computer crashes, and then it restarts every few minutes.
- The computer restarts on its own. Additionally, the computer does not run as usual.
- Applications on the computer do not work correctly.
- Disks or disk drives are inaccessible.
- You cannot print items correctly.
- You see unusual error messages.
- You see distorted menus and dialog boxes.
- There is a double extension on an attachment that you recently opened, such as a .jpg, .vbs, .gif, or .exe. extension.
- An antivirus program is disabled for no reason. Additionally, the antivirus program cannot be restarted.
- An antivirus program cannot be installed on the computer, or the antivirus program will not run.
- New icons appear on the desktop that you did not put there, or the icons are not associated with any recently installed programs.
- Strange sounds or music plays from the speakers unexpectedly.
- A program disappears from the computer even though you did not intentionally remove the program.
- Changes in the file date or time stamp
If you notice any of these symptoms and suspect that your PC might be infected with a virus, please run the Sophos Anti Virus program to clean the viruses. If the Sophos program doesn’t clean the viruses then call the Help Desk at x1112 to report the problem.