Information for Hiring a Part-Time Employee
The following pages were designed to assist part-time employees, as well as supervisors of part-time employees, with any questions that may arise while employed at the College.
These employees are by definition part-time, temporary, non-benefited employees. There are five main categories for this type of staff:
- Adjunct Faculty - Individuals hired to teach credit courses.
- Coaches - Individuals hired to coach within the Athletics Department.
- Guest Lecturers, Speakers or Event Participants - Special event speakers or classroom guest lecturers hired for a limited period of time, typically only one or two visits.
- Honoraria - College employee hired to work a special assignment, typically for one day.
- Part-Time Staff - Non-teaching staff who are hired to work no more than 19 hours per week.
- Non-Credit Instructors - Individuals hired to teach non-credit courses for the Center for Workforce and Community Education (CWCE).
Employment forms are required from employees who are new to CCRI, or if there is a lapse of employment of one year or more for returning employees.
ALL employment documents must be completed and returned to the Office of Human Resources prior to the requested start date. In order to ensure that employees are hired and paid in a timely manner, the employing department should allow 2-3 weeks for the hiring process to be completed from start to finish.
For part-time staff and non-credit instructors, a bi-weekly timecard must be completed by the employee and approved by the supervisor, and then forwarded to the Payroll Office. The employee may not be paid on time if the timecard is received in Payroll after the due date. All non-hourly employees (adjunct faculty, coaches, faculty stipends) are paid on an installment basis for each semester of work; timecards are not used in this case. With the exception of adjunct faculty, who are paid on a monthly basis, all payroll checks are issued on a bi-weekly basis. Checks are mailed to the employees house. If the employee is enrolled in direct deposit, he/she will receive his/her pay stub by email.
OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION:
- Advertising for a Part-Time Position
- Electronic Timesheet Processing
- E-mail Access
- Employment Forms for Part-Time Employees
- Employment Policies & Procedures for Part-Time Employees
- Hourly Rates
- ID Cards
- Flow Chart
- Payroll Schedules & Calendars
- Workflow Instructions