Procedure For Requesting An Accommodation
The Community College of Rhode Island is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to its employees, if necessary, in order to perform the essential functions of their positions. Here are the procedures for requesting a reasonable accommodation:
- The employee notifies either the Office of Human Resources or the Affirmative
Action/504/ADA Compliance Officer of his or her disability.
- After notification, the Office of Human Resources will provide the employee with a
copy of his/her job description, the Disability Verification Form-Health Provider
Statement (to be completed by the health care provider in order to declare a
disability) and the Reasonable Accommodation Request Form to be completed by
- The completed Reasonable Accommodation Request Form, Disability
Verification Form/Health Provider Statement, job description and essential
functions are reviewed by the Affirmative Action/504/ADA Compliance Officer. The
Affirmative Action Officer/504/ADA Compliance Officer will meet with the
appropriate campus officials, if necessary, to discuss the accommodation request.
- Once a decision is reached regarding the accommodations request, a letter of
notification is sent from the Affirmative Action/504/ADA Compliance Officer to the
employee to be signed by the employee and returned to the Office of Human
Resources for official record.
- In compliance with applicable laws and regulations, all documents pertaining to a
disability request are placed in a confidential file and may be opened only by the
employee or an appropriate Human Resources representative on an “as needed”
Should the employee requesting an accommodation disagree with the decision reached by the Affirmative Action/504/ADA Compliance Officer, an appeal may be filed by the employee with the Director of Human Resources who will forward the request to the appropriate divisional Vice President for review.