Procedure For Requesting An Accommodation
The Community College of Rhode Island is committed to providing reasonable accommodations
to its employees, if necessary, in order to perform the essential functions of their
positions. Here are the procedures for requesting a reasonable accommodation:
- The employee notifies either the Office of Human Resources or the Office of Institutional
Equity of his or her disability.
- After notification, the Office of Human Resources will provide the employee with a
copy of his/her job description, the Disability Verification Form-Health Provider Statement (to be completed by the health care provider in order to declare a
disability) and the Reasonable Accommodation Request Form to be completed by the employee.
- The completed Reasonable Accommodation Request Form, Disability Verification Form/Health Provider Statement, job description and essential functions are reviewed by the Director of Institutional
Equity. The Director of Institutional Equity will meet with the appropriate campus
officials, if necessary, to discuss the accommodation request.
- Once a decision is reached regarding the accommodations request, a letter of notification
is sent from the Director of Institutional Equity to the employee to be signed by
the employee and returned to the Office of Human Resources for official record.
- In compliance with applicable laws and regulations, all documents pertaining to a
disability request are placed in a confidential file and may be opened only by the
employee or an appropriate Human Resources representative on an “as needed” basis.
Should the employee requesting an accommodation disagree with the decision reached
by the Director of Institutional Equity, an appeal may be filed by the employee with
the Director of Human Resources who will forward the request to the appropriate divisional
Vice President for review.