Overview of Distance Learning at CCRI
Distance Learning at CCRI extends the college's mission of offering affordable open
access to higher education by providing the college’s diverse student population with
more flexible learning venues. Distance Learning offers access to the same rigorous
educational experience that students receive at any of CCRI's campuses, without the
constraint of traveling to a campus at a specified time.
The majority of students who take online courses at CCRI are enrolled in one of CCRI's
programs of study, and are taking only one or two online courses to supplement their
There are no fully online programs at CCRI, although several programs offer more than
50% of their degree and certificate requirements online.
Resources specific to distance learning at CCRI include:
- Distance Learning for Students website with a comprehensive orientation to online
learning, course search for online courses, and links to support services;
- Introduction to Learning Online one-credit orientation course for students;
- OnGOALS online student orientation and support, currently offered to all students
taking an online course for the first time at CCRI;
- The DL Faculty Forum, which is a Blackboard course containing resources and a discussion
forum in which all DL faculty, all faculty and staff interested in DL, and all academic
administrators are enrolled;
- The Distance Education Faculty Coordinator, whose responsibilities include supporting
DL faculty and coordinating all departments in providing high quality online courses;
- The Distance Learning Advisory Committee, which revises and supports the DL Policy,
requests DL support from non-academic departments through the governance process,
and which advises on DL best practices;
- The Distance Learning Policy, which specifies policy related to online learning;
- The Centers for Instruction and Technology, which provides technical support to DL faculty, particularly in creating courses
within the Blackboard Learning Management System and in use of other technology to
support teaching and learning;
- The Online Pedagogy Course, a five-week online course that instructs faculty in pedagogy
and policy specific to online teaching.
If you are a faculty member at CCRI who is interested in teaching online, contact
the Distance Education Faculty Coordinator or the VPAA's office for further information.