Distance Learning Notes - October 27, 2004
Present: Linda Beith and JoAnn Warren Co-Chairs; Luis Malaret, Karen Allen, Rob Melucci, Robyn Younkin, Terry Squizzero, Judy Murphy, and Jamie Nash
Absent: Phil Sisson, John Whitman and Martha Vigneault,
- Prioritize issues/concerns generated during last brainstorming session
Existing CCRI students will be surveyed anonymously. It was proposed that the survey be made available to the college community using either Pipeline or a form on the IT page. Surveying the entire student population may render useful information related to the following:
- Who is or has taken on-line and/or telecourses (distance learning) options
- How they heard about the options
- Why they have taken this option
- Why they haven't
- To what extent would they enroll in future classes and/or programs
- What are the facilitators of a good DL experience
- What are the barriers to a good DL experience
- Would a face to face component of a DL experience be warranted
- Assignment of team and/or individual to work on specific issues
Sub-committees were established to address issues/concerns raised at initial meeting. The following individuals volunteered or will be asked to participate in the following sub-committees:
- Student: Judy Murphy, Luis Malaret, Robyn Younkin and John Whitman.
- Faculty: Terry Squizzero, Karen Allen, JoAnn Warren and Martha Vigneault
- Administration: Phil Sisson, Jamie Nash, Rob Melucci and Linda Beith.
Sub-Committees have been charged with identifying additional issues/concerns and prioritizing items prior to next DL Committee Meeting (Scheduled for 11/17 at 2:00 pm).
- Establish a timeline for completion of recommendations to VP Sherman (No Action)
Define Distance Learning at CCRI
A brief discussion ensued related to the difficulty in defining Distance Learning at CCRI. Members present agreed to review various definitions to help shape CCRI's Distance Learning Program.
Next Meeting: The Next scheduled meeting of the DL committee will be held on Wednesday 11/17/04 at 2:00 pm in the Distance Learning Rooms on the Knight and Flanagan Campuses.