• be 16-18 years old
• successfully complete the Rhode Island Driver Education course or its equivalent
• pass the state approved written examination
|At Level 1 you may drive a motor vehicle under the following conditions:
• the permit holder must be in possession of the permit
• a supervising driver must be seated beside the permit holder in the front seat of the vehicle when it is in motion
• no person other than the supervising driver may be located in the front seat
• every person occupying the vehicle must be properly fastened by a seat belt or child restraint system
• have held a limited instruction permit for at least six months without conviction of motor vehicle moving violation or seat belt infraction
• pass the motor vehicle road test
|At Level 2 the license holder may drive a motor vehicle without supervision from 5:00am
to 1:00am or at other times under the following conditions:
• when driving to or from work
• when driving to or from an activity of a volunteer fire department, rescue squad, or emergency medical service if the driver is a member of such organization
• with a supervising driver seated beside the provisional license holder in the front seat of the vehicle when it is in motion.
• You may not operate a motor vehicle with anymore than one passenger under twenty-one (21) years of age, family members exempt.
IMPORTANT: The license holder must be in possession of the limited provisional license while driving and every person occupying the vehicle must be properly fastened by a seat belt or child restraint system.
• be 17 1/2-18 years old
• have held a limited provisional license for at least twelve months without conviction for motor vehicle moving violation or seat belt infraction for six months
|At Level 3 you may drive a motor vehicle without Level 1 and 2 restrictions concerning time of driving, supervision, and passenger limitations.|
If you need a Rhode Island driver education certificate because you have lost the original or it has expired, please mail the pertinent information and a $10 check or money order payable to CCRI.
Those interested in duplicate (replacement) certificates of completion must be sure to include name, street address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, and information regarding when (approximate date) and where the driver education course was taken.
For in-state duplicate (replacement) certificates, please mail to:CCRI, Center for Workforce & Community Education
If you have taken an out-of-state driver education course and you need Rhode Island certification, please mail the original certificate issued along with pertinent information and a $10 check or money order payable to CCRI.
Out-of-state completers must include official documentation that indicates the number of classroom training hours and proof of age. To receive Rhode Island certification, out-of-state completers must have participated in a classroom experience of 33 hours minimum. Students with fewer than 33 contact hours are not eligible for a RI Certificate and must register for the RI Driver Education Program. Proof of age can be documented by submitting a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or baptismal record.
Please Note: According to RI General Law, all driver education programs must be approved by CCRI.
Please be sure to include name, street address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, and information regarding when and where the driver education course was taken.
All CWCE Offices Closed On:
Flanagan Campus, Lincoln
1762 Louisquisset Pike
Lincoln, RI 02865
2nd Floor South (Entrance A), Center for Workforce & Community Education
Lincoln Office Closed On: