Hospital-based Massage Therapy Training
The Clinical Oncology Alliance team is seeking licensed massage therapists who are willing to dedicate four hours a week (10-weeks), in a hospital to provide services to oncology patients.
Placement in our program is competitive due to the admissions criteria and limited space. You must complete the required information below to qualify in the selection process.
Prerequisites for Admission
- Must be an active licensed massage therapist in the state of RI, CT or MA or have passed the NCBTMB or MBLEx exam. Applicants must provide documented proof. (Other states need prior approval).
- A minimum of 8 hours of continuing education. A certificate or proof of completion in courses related to the following topics (subject matter recommended NCBTMB or MBLEx-approved provider). The below is an example of courses acceptable for the training program, but not an exhausted list. -
- Understanding Client Medication for Massage Therapists and Health Care Workers - CCRI (30 hours)
- Caring for Clients with Cancer – Tracy Walton (32 hours)
- Massage in Cancer Care - Webinar Series with Tracy Walton (9 hours)
- More About Cancer Care and Massage - Webinar Series with Tracy Walton (9 hours)
- An Overview of Clinical Oncology Massage – Polly Jiacovelli and Regina Cobb (4 hours)
- Lymphedema and What Massage Therapists Should Know – RIAMTA (2 hours)
- Society for Oncology Massage Training
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Individual Medical Insurance
The following must be submitted at the time of your scheduled interview:
- A copy of your active massage therapist license from the state of RI, CT, MA or other states.
- Proof of passing the NCBTMB or MBLEx exam for Massage Therapy and Bodywork or Massage Therapy (if applicable)
- A copy of your current professional liability insurance
- A copy of your current personal health insurance
- Proof of 2 years of massage therapy experience with clients (recommended, not required)
- A 300-500 word essay as to why you want to enter this program
- 3 letters of character references from members of the community (not from family members)
- Must commit to the program's Massage Therapists Code of Ethics
- Hospital Health Requirements
You will be contacted regarding an interview around the date of the application deadline.