Obtaining Approval to Travel Out-of-State
- A College employee/student who decides that attendance at a particular conference/training/business
session will benefit the College and proceeds to obtain verbal approval from the department
chairperson or director or the Office of Student Life, as applicable.
- Once appropriate verbal approval has been granted, the traveler should complete the
- Request to Travel (TR-1) form (see instructions).
- College conference/ training fee requisition form.
- Event registration form.
- Information on Banner fund, organization, account, program, or location (FOAPL) codes
is available from the Business Office- 825-2184. Banner vendor code information is
available from the Purchasing Department - 825-2196. General assistance with the travel
forms is available from the Controller's Office - 825-2150.
- Traveler obtains approval signature from department chairperson or director. If traveler
is a faculty member then steps 4 and 5 must be completed otherwise go to step 6.
- Dean's signature is required for all faculty.
- Dean forwards completed forms (TR-1 form and Conference fee requisition) along with
a copy of the conference agenda and event registration form to the Faculty Travel
Committee (FTC) for review and approval.
- The FTC forwards completed and approved forms (TR-1 form and Conference fee requisition)
along with a copy of the conference agenda and the event registration form to the
Business Office and then to the appropriate Vice President for review and approval.
- Approved forms (TR-1 form and Conference fee requisition) along with a copy of the
conference agenda and the event registration form are forwarded to the Controller's
Office for processing no later than forty-five (45) days prior to the date of travel,
except in emergencies.
The traveler must ensure that all documents are accurate and complete (including all
required approvals). Any forms that need to be corrected will be returned to the traveler.
This will delay processing.
- A copy of the approved TR-1 form is returned to traveler along with the Travel Authorization
Number (TAN), assigned by the Controller's Office.
- The traveler can now make necessary travel arrangements using Short's Travel Management.
The traveler should select the most economical method of travel and hotel accommodations.
- The traveler attends conference/training/business session.
- Upon returning, the traveler completes an Out-of-State Travel Reimbursement (A14A)
form and attaches original receipts and the travel itinerary form to the A14A form
and has the department chairperson/director approve and initial the completed form.
The forms are then forwarded to the Controller's Office for processing.
- The A14A form along with all original receipts and the travel agency's travel itinerary
form is sent to the Controller's Office for processing.
- Controller's office reviews all calculations and documentation for completeness and
accuracy. Forms that are not completed properly are returned for corrections.
- A check for the amount due to traveler is then issued and mailed to the traveler's
home of record