Resources for Innovative Teaching
The Center for Innovative Teaching, Learning & Assessment is building a bibliography of resources to help instructors with the assessment of learning, as well as issues critical to the scholarship of learning. Check back here for an updated list of suggested readings.
NEW CITLA Winter Workshop 2015 Handouts
Bringing Service and Learning Together
- CCRI Service Learning Power Point
- Norwalk Service Learning Power Point
- Summary of Reflection Activities
Undergraduate Research as a High-Impact Practice
- Aligning UR Learning Outcomes (LO) with Classroom Activities and Assessments
- QCC Undergraduate Research (UR) Course Outline
- Project Timeline
New listserv for distance learning pedagogy discussion
This Listserv is for the use of faculty and staff at URI, RIC, and CCRI to discuss pedagogy issues in distance education. Please note that this is not for technical questions, particularly since we do not use the same technology at the three campuses. We are hoping that faculty and staff from the three colleges will be able to share ideas, articles, and resources and respond to each others' concerns and observations regarding.
The following are links to a list of books and articles found on WikiPODia.
- Book Recommendations on College Teaching - WikiPODia
- Teaching/Learning Community Reading List - WikiPODia
The following links have been suggested by CITLA Workshop presenters.
University of Michigan Center for Research on Learning and Teaching
Suggested by Dr. Robert Shea from Workshop on Learning Styles (October 2010)
- Laurie L. Hazard, Ed.D., "Teaching the First-year Student: Creating College-Level Learners (January 9, 2012)"
- Kaatje van der Hoeven Kraft, "Moving Beyond Content: Engaging, Motivating & Attending to Student Attitudes in General Education" - May 24, 2012
- Amy Baldwin "Activities for Engaging First Year College Students" - May 23, 2013
- Barbara Walvoord "Creating a No-Frills Assessment Plan" CITLA Winter Workshop 2014, January 7, 2014
The following links come from academic and mainstream publications.
- From the New York Times "To Really Learn, Quit Studying and Take a Test" (January 21, 2011)
- From Inside Higher Ed "False Hope" by Ray Flores on remedial education at community colleges (February 17, 2011)
- Earth and Mind: Reflections on Thinking and Learning about the Earth (includes an interesting Blog with teaching-related discussions)
Videos on Clickers and Group Work
- Click here for videos on clickers and group work which were produced by the University of Colorado Science Education Initiative (CU-SEI) and the University of British Columbia Carl Wieman Science Education Initiative (CWSEI).