VetSuccess on Campus
VetSuccess is a pilot program that began at the University of South Florida, Cleveland State University and San Diego State University and places an experienced vocational counselor at colleges to provide outreach, support and assistance with VA benefits to veterans, active duty military and dependents. CCRI is one of two community colleges and three four-year colleges and universities added in this second phase of the program.
Any CCRI student veteran should feel free to contact Micaela Black, CCRI’s new VetSuccess counselor. She is available to meet with students from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesdays on the Knight Campus (Warwick) and Thursdays on the Liston Campus (Providence). Ms. Black can be reached at 401-648-1597.
Though located on the Knight and Liston Campuses, Ms. Black will help student veterans from all CCRI locations. She can assist all student veterans, active duty and dependents attending CCRI with the following:
- Guidance and support with education benefits
- Finding employment opportunities
- Electing your healthcare benefits with Veterans Healthcare Administration
- Submitting a claim for disability compensation
- Vocational exploration, advising, and selecting a suitable career
- Information on VA benefits such as life insurance, home loan guarantee, vocational rehabilitation and employment, the GI Bill benefits and other education benefits
- Access to VA Medical Center and services available at veteran centers
- Locating community and other resources
CCRI also has an active on-campus student veterans’ organization. The Students Veterans Club provides a network of support for military veterans, their families and supporters. Secondly, the club educates the college community about the experiences of military veterans and works with the college administration to meet the needs of current and prospective student veterans.
More information about the VetSuccess program can be found on the program’s website.