Technical Standards - Histotechnician
Essential Functions of a Histotechnician
- Receive and accession tissue specimens.
- Prepare tissue specimens for microscopic examinations, including all routine procedures.
- Assist with gross examination and frozen section procedures in histopathology.
- Identify tissue structures and their staining characteristics.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance of equipment and instruments or refer
to appropriate sources for repairs.
- Recognize factors that affect procedures and results, and take appropriate action
within predetermined limits when corrections are indicated.
- Perform and monitor quality control within predetermined limits.
- Apply principles of safety.
- Demonstrate professional conduct and interpersonal communication skills with patients,
laboratory personnel, and other healthcare professions, and with the public.
- Exercise principles of management, safety and supervision.
- Recognize the responsibilities of other laboratory and healthcare professionals and
interact with them with respect for their jobs and patient care.
- Recognize and act upon individual needs for continuing education as a function of
growth and maintenance of professional competence.
- Implementing emergency procedures and administering first aid including CPR.
CCRI will provide services and training, without discrimination, to academically qualified
persons who meet the following technical standards required to participate in the
Physical Requirements: The position of Histotechnician has been given a strength ratio of LIGHT WORK by
the U.S. Dictionary of Occupational Titles (exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force
frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force 2/3 or more of the time to move objects).
The position involves walking, standing and sitting for prolonged periods, as well
as stooping, bending, lifting and carrying. The ability to operate and control equipment
is necessary to include starting, stopping, adjusting and observing gauges, dials,
Visual Observation: The student must possess visual acuity sufficient to allow for each of the following:
- Differentiation of colors and color changes during the performance of histologic procedures.
- Color blindness itself does not preclude admission.
- Differentiation and identification of specimens using microscopic techniques.
- Reading lab instrument technical procedure manuals, standard operating procedures,
specimen labels and other pertinent materials for patient care and professional practice.
Numerical Ability: Requires the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure.
Form/Special Ability: Requires the ability to inspect dimensions of items and to visually read information
Motor Functions: The student must possess motor and dexterity skills sufficient to permit each of
- Lift and handle typical hand-held medical laboratory equipment and tools.
- Manipulate histology instruments and equipment in a manner consistent with standards
of histology practice.
- Perform all routine functions and tasks required in the various departments of the
Communication Skills: The student must possess verbal and non-verbal skills adequate for transmitting and
receiving information from patients and hospital personnel. The student must be able
to read, write, speak and comprehend English with sufficient skill to communicate.
Behavioral and Social Skills: The student must exhibit behavioral and social skills that are acceptable to the
college and hospital settings. Students must be able to attend to work assignments
and instructions/orders given.
____ I am capable of meeting the requirements
____ I am not capable of meeting the requirements
____ I am capable of meeting the requirements with accommodations
Health Form: The student must submit a completed health form to include required inoculations
and physical exam before beginning clinical rotations. CPR Healthcare Provider (AHA)
is required and a copy of card must be submitted to the Allied Health Department.
Student Signature: _____________________________ Date:_____