Priority Tasks for the Learning Spaces Initiative
- Educate group on current research and best practices related to learning spaces in
a college environment.
- Assess the current state of those learning spaces; gather feedback from faculty and
students. Review all attributes of the space that are known to affect learning:
- Is the furniture flexible to support different styles of teaching and learning?
- Is the lighting sufficient and has dual controls for different uses of space?
- Acoustics and sound amplifications
- Seating and ergonomics
- Room orientation
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning
- Networking, computers, projection devices and telephones
- Do instructors need whiteboards or chalkboards, and how many?
- Is there natural light through windows and how is it controlled?
- Are there windows onto the corridor? How are distractions from passers-by prevented?
- Painting and carpeting
- Determine long term strategies and principles of good design for learning spaces and
promote standards for classrooms and other learning spaces.
- Define roles and responsibilities for classroom management (e.g. erasing board, providing
chalk/markers, rearranging furniture, etc).
- Assess enhancements to learning spaces, prioritize, and make recommendations to the
VP of Academic Affairs.
- Increase awareness among faculty and students of the ways in which learning spaces
can be used and improved.
- Coordinate renovations or improvements when funding become available.
- Coordinate with other college committees as appropriate (e.g. Academic Technology